Finally, WhatsApp launched a new feature to India that is WhatsApp Payments. This feature is working in beta version in Android and iPhone. It is based on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) system. With this, you will now be able to send and receive directly to your bank account. However, you will not be able to pay to merchants as of now. To do so, you will have to add the shopkeeper as a contact and then follow the steps to send money like you will do for any other WhatsApp friend of yours.
Here you can get WhatsApp Payment Feature
Update WhatsApp and get the latest version 2.18 on Android and iPhone. Note that you will not get this feature just by updating the app.You would need someone, who has already got Payments feature, to message you. Open any WhatsApp chat and see if you see the new Payments sub-head under Settings. If you do, you now have access to WhatsApp’s UPI-based payments feature. If not, you have no other option but to wait.
WhatsApp Payments – How to add bank accounts
Here’s how you can add your bank account to WhatsApp and get started with the payments feature:
- Go to Settings -> Payments inside WhatsApp.
- In the Bank Accounts sub-head, select the Add New Account option.
- Tap Accept and Continue if you agree to the terms.
- Tap the Verify via SMS and follow the prompts to send an SMS to start the linking process.
- On the next screen, select the bank whose account you want to add.
- If you have an account (or multiple accounts) linked with the number that you just sent the SMS from, you will be presented with your account (or accounts) from that bank.
- If everything goes smoothly, you will see the UPI Setup Complete screen.
Also, you can add more accounts. if You want to add more accounts than repeat these steps. If you have already multiple accounts then you can designate one of them as the primary account (by default the account you added first).
How to send money through WhatsApp Payments
you must ensure that the Payments feature is activate on both WhatsApp account. You can also send money to individual group members in a group chat, Don’t worry, if you are not sure whether the other party has WhatsApp Payments activated for not. The app will alert you to that. Moreover, you cannot pay money to verified business accounts (such as BookMyShow or MakeMyTrip) because the service is only peer-to-peer.
Open the chat of the WhatsApp contact to whom you want to send money. On Android, tap the Attach button. If you are on iPhone, select the Plus button.
To send money, just tap on Payment, and enter the amount you want to send. You can also add a note to the message if you want. To authorize the payment, just enter the UPI PIN of the bank account from which you are trying to send money. Once the money is sent, the amount will show a message as part of the conversation.